OUR PURPOSE & MISSION
The First Baptist Church in Woburn Covenant and Mission
The covenanted purpose and mission of our Church is:
1. To walk together as brothers and sisters in Christ;
. To exercise a Christian care and watchfulness over each other and faithfully warn and
encourage one another as the case shall require;
3. To faithfully assemble ourselves for prayer, study and public worship;
4. To participate in each other’s joys; to endeavor with tenderness and sympathy to bear
each other’s burdens and sorrows; and to affirm in one another the gifts of the Spirit;
5. To earnestly endeavor to nurture our children in a knowledge of the love and
commandments of God as revealed in Jesus Christ through the Biblical record and to
seek and guide their growth in Christian stature;
6. To walk in the world in the love of Christ and under the guidance of His Spirit, not to
be conformed to the world, but to be faithful children of God;
7. To faithfully present the meaning of redemption and to touch people of all ages with
the love of God in Jesus Christ that their lives may be transformed by the Spirit
through all our words and activities;
8. To support a faithful ministry of Christian outreach and social justice in the world and
in this place in accordance with the Baptist witness and in cooperation with the whole
family of faith;
9. To live in all our ways to the glory of Him who called us out of darkness into His
Statement of Affiliation
The First Baptist Church in Woburn is affiliated with the American Baptist Churches, U.S.A., the American Baptist Churches of Massachusetts, and the Adoniram Judson Baptist Association.
We recognize the necessity of ecumenical fellowship and action and pledge our support and cooperation in such endeavors with other churches of our community and through the Massachusetts Council of Churches, the National Council of Churches in the U.S.A., and the World Council of Churches.
Persons may become a member of our church by vote of the Board of Deacons and by profession of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; by showing an understanding of Christian commitment and responsible discipleship; by assuming the obligation of the Covenant of this community; and
1. By being baptized by immersion or
2. By transfer of membership form another Church, or
3. By public profession of his/her faith with out baptism by immersion, if the
Board of Deacons deems such baptism is inadvisable.
The First Baptist Church of Woburn supports and donates to four American Baptist Churches, USA mission endeavors.
They are as follows:
AMERICA FOR CHRIST: The America for Christ Offering is the American Baptist response to the needs of home mission within and beyond the local congregation in witness and service for Christ as mandated by the Great Commission. Gifts are channeled through National Ministries and Regional Ministries to fund home mission, education, and local community ministries.
ONE GREAT HOUR OF SHARING: The One Great Hour of Sharing offering is the American Baptist response to worldwide disaster relief and development. One Great Hour of Sharing, in cooperation with other denominations, is a channel for national and international aid in times of crisis.
WORLD MISSION: The World Mission Offering is the American Baptist response to the needs of international mission as mandated by the Great Commission in partnership with national Baptist churches in other countries.
RETIRED MINISTERS AND MISSIONARIES: The Retired Ministers and Missionaries Offering is the American Baptist thank you and response to emergency needs of retired ministers, missionaries, and surviving spouses.
The earth is the Lord’s and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein. Psalm 24:1